Saint Patrick’s Day is here and this Thick & Creamy Shamrock Smoothie is the perfect way to get in the spirit!
Unlike many other festive treats you can find during the holiday, this recipe contains no green food dye. Its vibrant colour comes from all the delicious and nutritious green foods packed inside – spinach, avocado and mint!
Here’s what you’ll need for your shamrock smoothie:
- frozen banana: helps give a thick and creamy consistency. The more ripe the banana, the more sweetness it will give your smoothie. If you know me, you’ll know I’m very picky about my bananas… I prefer those that are green-yellow so it doesn’t overtake the flavour of the smoothie.
- frozen avocado: essential for an extra creamy smoothie! Using frozen avocado chunks helps to give a thicker consistency, but as long the banana is frozen you should probably be okay to use fresh too. Avocados also add extra fiber and healthy fat, helping to keep you full longer! Woohoo!
- spinach: gives this smoothie its bright green colour, in addition to an extra boost of vitamins, minerals and some more fiber too!
- milk: any kind will do the trick! Cow’s milk, almond, coconut, oat – whatever floats your boat.
- mint leaves: give this smoothie its festive flair. About 12-15 leaves gave me the mintiness I was looking for, but you can add more or less to your preferences!
- maple syrup: to add a touch of sweetness. If you’re a brown banana lover you might not need any more sweetness, but its up to you! You can also use honey or plain ‘ol sugar too
- vanilla: just because
- salt: a small pinch works wonders to really bring out all the flavours of this smoothie
Blend it all up ’til smooth and you’re good to go!
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! xx
Thick & Creamy Shamrock Smoothie
- 1/2 frozen banana, chunks
- 1/4 cup frozen avocado, chunks
- 1 cup spinach
- 3/4 cup milk, any kind
- 12-15 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or other sweetener
- splash of vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Whizz all ingredients in a blender until smooth, adding more milk if needed.
- Add more or less mint and sweetener to taste!