Impress your dinner guests with this Roasted Beet & Grapefruit Salad with Goat Cheese. It might feel fancy, but it’s actually quite simple and quick to put together!
Roasting red beets gives them a deliciously sweet + earthy flavour that pairs well with tart grapefruit. Bake unpeeled beets in tinfoil for 40-50 minutes @ 400F until tender in the centre. After cooling, the peels should slip off right off by just rubbing with your fingers. NOTE: don’t forget gloves, or you’ll have pink stained hands for days! Additionally, you can roast the beets up to a week in advance and store them in the fridge, making this salad even more of a breeze on the day of preparation.
Goat cheese adds a tangy, creaminess to this salad but you could easily replace it with another crumbly cheese, like feta. Likewise, whichever nut or seed you have on hand could take the place of pistachios. Finally, the vinaigrette ingredients quickly whizz up in the blender for a sweet + tangy dressing featuring hints of lemon, basil and Dijon mustard.
This recipe makes two good-sized side salads but you could easily scale it up in quantity. As the vinaigrette ingredients are written, you will already have extra dressing. So no adjustments are needed if you wish to double the salad! Otherwise, extra vinaigrette will keep well in the fridge for about a week.
If you want to turn this roasted beet & grapefruit salad into a more filling main course, try adding grilled chicken or roasted chickpeas and a thick slice of warm crusty bread on the side – yum!
Want to learn more about beets?
To find out where beets get their beautiful red color and how it impacts their nutritional value, check out my post What’s in Season? A Guide to Spring Produce in Canada!
Roasted Beet & Grapefruit Salad with Goat Cheese
- 1 large beet
- drizzle of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 large basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 grapefruit, segmented*
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, crushed
- Roast the beets: Cut the beetroot off the stalks and rinse. Without peeling, drizzle the beetroot with oil and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Bake at 400°F for 50-60 minutes, until a knife slides through the center of the beet easily. Let cool. Gently rub the beet (using a paper towel or gloves!) to remove the peel – they should slip off easily. Roasted beets will keep in the fridge for about a week.
- Make the vinaigrette: Blend all vinaigrette ingredients until smooth. Adjust salt + pepper as needed. Store leftover dressing in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Put it all together: slice the roasted beets and arrange on top of the mixed greens, along with the grapefruit segments. Sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles, crushed pistachios and drizzle with vinaigrette. Enjoy!
4 thoughts on “Roasted Beet & Grapefruit Salad with Goat Cheese”
Beautiful and well-balanced flavours.
Thanks Lindsay! 🙂
Perfect for spring