These Quick & Cheesy Broccoli Melts are one of my favourite back-pocket recipes for when I want a tasty lunch or light dinner in a pinch. Piles of tender garlicky broccoli are spooned atop toasty slices of bread and broiled under a good sprinkle of your favourite cheese.
Ingredients for Quick & Cheesy Broccoli Melts:
Best of all, you only need 7 basic ingredients, most of which you probably already have on hand:
- a few slices of hearty bread
- Dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- cheese (I like something strong, like extra-old cheddar)
Putting your Broccoli Melts together:
You’re only three steps away from cheesy goodness!
- Saute your chopped broccoli with garlic and lemon juice until tender
- Meanwhile, toast your bread and slather on some homemade “Dijonnaise” (AKA a mix of mayo + mustard!)
- Pile on the broccoli, top with shredded cheese and broil until golden and bubbling!
These melts are so quick to put together that they make a great last-minute meal. However, if you want to meal prep these babies, simply cook the broccoli mix beforehand and store in the fridge. If you’re really keen, you could even shred your cheese ahead of time too, to make it that much easier on yourself.
Good for you… and your wallet!
Not only are these Quick & Cheesy Broccoli Melts delicious, but they’re nutritious too! One serving (two pieces of toast) comes in under 500kcal and provides about 25% of our daily iron, 50% of calcium, and 150% of our vitamin C requirements! Not to mention, this meat-free meal still boasts about 20-25g of protein per serving (depending on the bread you choose). Research suggests that consuming about 20-30g of protein at each meal can control appetite by helping you feel full longer, as well as helping to promote muscle synthesis.
This recipe is also perfect for students, those on a budget or anyone looking for a cheap meal. The total cost of the recipe comes in around $4.50, or only about $2.25 per serving!
Quick & Cheesy Broccoli Melts
- 4 slices seedy bread
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 2 cups broccoli, crown and stalks, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded cheese, (white cheddar, provolone, etc.)
- chili flakes, salt + pepper
- Broccoli: add chopped broccoli and a splash of water to a saute pan over medium heat. Cover and allow to steam 3-4 minutes. Remove lid, add garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook uncovered for another 2-3 minutes until broccoli is bright green and tender.
- Melts: meanwhile, toast the bread on both sides. Mix together the mayonnaise and mustard and spread evenly on each piece of toast. Pile a quarter of the broccoli mixture onto each slice and top with ¼ cup shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle on some extra chili flakes and broil under high heat for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is brown and bubbly. Enjoy!