A simple salad with a ton of flavour! Featuring curry-spiced chicken, fresh spinach, juicy oranges, toasted almonds and a sweet mango chutney vinaigrette.
“Well, that’s like summer in a bowl!”– Joey Tribbiani, F.R.I.E.N.D.S.
Okay, so maybe this salad isn’t what Joey was talking about that one time on FRIENDS. But in my humble opinion, this recipe is worth the shout-out.
Ring in the warmer weather with this fresh, juicy bowl of goodness. No sad salads here with:
- succulent curry-spiced chicken
- sweet orange segments
- toasty almonds
- fresh spinach
- homemade mango chutney vinaigrette (one of the most popular recipes on the blog!)
HOW TO MAKE SPINACH SALAD WITH ORANGES AND ALMONDS
It’s called “simple” spinach salad for a reason:
- brush the chicken with oil and a few spices and throw in the oven to roast
- toss the almonds on a pan and into the oven they go, too!
- segment the oranges or drain some canned mandarins if you’re feeling suuuper simple
- blend up some Mango Chutney Vinaigrette (that is, if you don’t already have a jar hanging out in your fridge..)
- then grab a big bowl, pile in the spinach, top with all the goodies & a drizzle of dressing
IS SPINACH SALAD WITH ORANGES AND ALMONDS HEALTHY?
While salads are generally seen as the epitome of “healthy food”, not all contain a good balance of ingredients that both nourish our bodies AND keep us full and satisfied.
Leave behind those super low-cal lettuce salads that only stave off hunger for an hour. Adding almonds and chicken boost fiber and protein content, giving this salad some staying-power.
Dark leafy greens like spinach are also a good source of dietary iron. To increase our absorption of non-heme iron (aka iron that comes from plants rather than animal sources), pair with a food rich in vitamin C. Like an orange!
Coincidence? I think not.
But even more importantly, with sweet & savory flavours and a variety of satisfying textures this is a salad that you’ll actually want to eat!
And lick the bowl after. No shame.
Simple Spinach Salad with Oranges and Almonds
For the Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
For the Orange Almond Salad
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 cup almonds, toasted and chopped (see note)
- 2 medium navel oranges, segmented
- Mango Chutney Vinaigrette, (see note)
- Prep the chicken: Combine the oil, lemon juice and spices. Place the chicken on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush both sides of each breast with the oil mixture.
- Bake the chicken: Bake at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Allow to rest five minutes before slicing against the grain.
- Make the salad: Arrange the spinach in a large bowl and top with the sliced chicken, orange segments and almonds. Toss with mango chutney vinaigrette and serve!
LOOKING FOR MORE?
See more salad & bowl recipes HERE! And don’t forget to follow along on Instagram for our latest recipes and nutrition articles.