An easy orzo pasta salad filled with crisp and colorful veggies, salty feta and fresh herbs. Tossed in a simple lemon dressing for a light spring side dish.
Ready to switch up your pasta salad game? This spring-inspired recipe filled with crisp veggies and fresh herbs is a great alternative to traditional creamy versions. It is easy to make and full of flavor, perfect for impressing at gatherings or for make-ahead desk lunches that you’ll have to resist eating at 10 AM.
Orzo – a rice-shaped pasta is the base of this salad. Its small size allows it to blend in well with the other ingredients, giving you a taste of every flavor with each bite. Sweet snap peas, sharp radishes and tangy feta are the main stars of the dish, topped of with aromatic dill and refreshing mint. A simple lemon and olive oil dressing finishes it off, bringing all of these bright flavours together. Yum!
HOW TO MAKE THIS ORZO PASTA SALAD
It’s as simple as 1-2-3:
- Cook the dry orzo according to package instructions. Ensure it is a little al dente to keep the pasta from going soggy after mixing in the dressing.
- Allow the pasta to cool, then add the veggies and feta. Cool the orzo first so that the veg stays crisp and tender.
- Finish it off with herbs and dressing. Mix in before serving and enjoy!
See recipe card below for full instructions
ORZO PASTA SALAD SERVING SUGGESTIONS
This orzo salad recipe is the perfect dish to bring to spring barbeques, picnics and potlucks. Serve alongside grilled meat, burgers or a variety of other side dishes (see suggestions below!)
To serve as a stand-alone main, balance out this salad by adding a source of protein. Grilled chicken would pair nicely, or try adding a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas or white beans for a quick and inexpensive option – no extra cooking required.
Leftovers will keep for a few days in the fridge. Make extra on purpose and you’ve got lunch prepped for the week!
MORE SPRING SIDE RECIPES
Looking for more easy side dishes? Here are a few of my go-to recipes:
- Beet Salad with Simple Citrus Dressing
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes with Herb Dressing
- Mom’s Leftover Taco Pasta Salad
Orzo Pasta Salad with Snap Peas and Radishes
- 1/2 pound orzo, uncooked
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed and sliced on an angle
- 8 medium radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, from one medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, from one medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt & pepper, each
- Cook the orzo: According to package directions, cook until al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Make the dressing: Add the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, salt & pepper to a small jar. Shake to combine.
- Mix the pasta salad: Add the cooled orzo, chopped vegetables and feta to a large bowl. Top with the fresh chopped herbs and dressing. Toss thoroughly to coat. Enjoy!